Prep time plus cooking time: 40 min. | Serves 2-4
- 4 pointed peppers
- 2 chillies
- 10 tomatoes
- 6-8 cloves of garlic
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilli powder or chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 handful of fresh parsley
- Heat the oven to 220°C.
- Place the peppers and chillies on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until they start to blacken. Take them out of the oven and leave to cool for around 15 minutes in a bowl, covered with kitchen foil. Then peel the peppers and chillies.
- Place the 10 tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute, then plunge into a bowl of cold water with ice cubes. Then peel the tomatoes.
- Finely chop the garlic and dice the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the cumin seeds for 1 minute. Stir in the garlic, followed by the tomatoes, peppers and chillies. Reduce the heat, cover and leave to simmer for 25 minutes. Season the Shakshuka with salt and chilli and stir.
- Make four wells in the mixture and break an egg into each one. Put the lid on and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes. Garnish the Shakshuka with parsley and serve.
Source: Jenny Alvares